Rich Freeman on 17 Dec 2011 05:26:57 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Linux distributions without version upgrades

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 3:55 AM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
> As I noted in the other thread, I'm close to this point myself.  I avoid the
> 6mo "song-and-dance" by using LTS releases, but that very negatively impacts
> "the ability to stay current with applications." :-(

Out of curiosity - where do you feel that most?  I noticed that 10.04
is up to chromium 15, which isn't too bad since they only stabilized
16 a few days ago.

On the other hand I see the version of KDE is ancient.  That seems in
keeping with an LTS model though since it is the desktop environment.

I imagine they're able to keep apps more current if they are more
desktop-oriented or tend not to be dependencies.  However, having not
really used it I'd be curious as to where they find the balance.

Rich