JP Vossen on 17 Dec 2011 15:58:35 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Linux distributions without version upgrades

Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 08:26:40 -0500
From: Rich Freeman<r-plug@thefreemanclan.net>

Out of curiosity - where do you feel that most?  I noticed that 10.04
is up to chromium 15, which isn't too bad since they only stabilized
16 a few days ago.

Liferea (RSS reader), Firefox (3.6.24 mixed feeling there, I hate tabs on top, but I know that's configurable), T-Bird (3.1.15), OOo (3.2.0), etc. Just the usual productivity apps.

I can't tell you how much I love *not* having to deal with app-updaters or manual stuff like Windows. Package management systems (esp. APT+policies) rule. This is the flip side (for binary ones), but a more sane release schedule would help, it seems to me.

I imagine they're able to keep apps more current if they are more
desktop-oriented or tend not to be dependencies.  However, having not
really used it I'd be curious as to where they find the balance.

That's not how I understand it, but I might be wrong. AFAIK, they pick the release and basically stick to it for LTS, backporting security fixes as needed. But as you note, certain apps like Chromium are just too fast for that so they've been making accommodations.

I dunno, it's not a simple problem. I just know it's getting to be a problem for me.

Later,
JP