Grabowy, Chris on 30 Dec 2011 06:04:01 -0800

Re: [PLUG] EXTERNAL: XBMC "feeds?"

Wow.  I can't believe they just abandoned their user community like that, which has been supporting them for many years now.

IMHO, XBMC is more of an open, customize it how you want to type of app.  Whereas Boxee's focus was always about officially adding various online sources and building up that list.  I believe some folks were able to get Netflix to work on XBMC via special plugin and having XBMC executing on Windows.

Plex is an option if you can do Mac or Windows.  They have a lot of interesting options like Hulu and Netflix (Plex Channels on the backend server)...

I wonder if someone will fork Boxee...however, part of it is closed source.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org [mailto:plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of JP Vossen
Sent: Friday, December 30, 2011 12:21 AM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: EXTERNAL: [PLUG] XBMC "feeds?"

In addition to MythTV, we've been using Boxee (0.9something) desktop on
Lucid 64-bit for some things like _The Daily Show_.  Now, with the 1.5
Boxee desktop only being available until the end of January then being
EoL so they can focus on embedded devices
(http://blog.boxee.tv/2011/12/26/boxee-1-5-fall-software-update/), it's
time for something else.

Since Boxee is built on XBMC, the seems like an obvious choice.  But
based on the preso, discussion on this list, and messing around with it
from the Lucid PPA, it seems like XBMC mostly plays stuff you already
have.  There are a bunch of plugins that sort-of help that, like the PBS
or TED Talk ones, but I have not found anything like the big lists in
Boxee of common/popular network shows.

I know I can go out and manually find that stuff on various web sites
and whatever, but the beauty of Boxee was that I didn't have to--it was
Just There.

Any suggestions?

Later,
JP