John BORIS on 25 Jan 2012 14:33:08 -0800

Re: [PLUG] dev vs production environments

JP
I manage a large system on 17 SCO servers.  I run multiple vms in
development and a live test server. For my LINUX apps we have two live
LINUX boxes (before VM setup). Then we just copy data to test server so
it is "live". That way you get a good look.

On LINUX servers we just have a test partition since those apps are
client server.
John Boris ---- Sent from my Blackberry
-----Original Message-----
From: JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org>
To: List, Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org>

Sent: 1/25/2012 5:22:43 PM
Subject: [PLUG] dev vs production environments

Arguably at least semi-OT, but it's all about Linux & Java & stuff,
so...  (Warning, I'm *not* a Java fan.)

I'm having a problem at work convincing some developers that the dev and

testing environments should match production as close as possible.
Since this is all Linux stuff, and we have machines and virtualization,
this seems like it should be a no-brainer to me.  In fact, this is so
blindingly obvious that I'm having trouble making a stronger argument
for this than "because it's so blindingly obvious."

Also, much of the dev work is Java, which is "write once, run anywhere,"

right?  Ummm.  No.  I'll agree with "write once, debug everywhere" but
that's about it.  *Running* a Java app in a production-quality way is a
*tad* different on Linux and (the horror) Windows...  Even if the "Java
code" part works, all the rest of the surrounding infrastructure and
environment (init script, ulimit, user perms, SELinux, ports < 1024
(like 443)) has to work and be in sync too.  That isn't gonna happen on
Windows.  (Hell, it's not even happening on Linux, which is part of my
point.)  And don't get me started on the JBoss part of it...

So...  Am I wrong?  Or is this as blindingly obvious as I think it is?
And if so, can anyone make a better argument, or point me at some "best
practices" and/or horror stories I can beat people with?  (I'm Googling
badly as I can't find anything good.  OK, besides just about everything
at thedailywtf.com :)

FWIW, we're trying to be "Agile" though we just started and have a
*long* way to go...

Thanks,
JP