Sean M. Collins on 25 Jan 2012 18:46:30 -0800

Re: [PLUG] dev vs production environments

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 05:22:43PM -0500, JP Vossen wrote:
> I'm having a problem at work convincing some developers that the dev
> and testing environments should match production as close as
> possible.
<snip>
>this is so blindingly obvious that I'm having trouble making a
> stronger argument for this than "because it's so blindingly
> obvious."

I have experienced this at every company I have worked with. The
first thing I do is install CruiseControl.NET and start
running automated builds. The second step is to then slowly automate
other common processes such as:

* copying a build into the "test" environment
* forcing QA to write scripts that automate most of their work, and having
CC.NET run those scripts (Test Complete, for example)
* Using CC.NET to run [X,N,J]Unit tests as part of the build
* Dumping the whole database as DDL and DML, including bare-minimum data needed to operate, and running continuous integration on the database schema

This T-shirt comes to mind:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/unisex/frustrations/374d/