Brian Stempin on 22 Feb 2012 12:00:49 -0800

Re: [PLUG] NTP rant

+1 on this.

Domains can make this messy.  I got around this by making the DCs run NTP services for Windows clients and had the DCs sync to another NTP service.  They were acting as NTP clients and servers.

On Feb 22, 2012 2:42 PM, "Michael Leone" <turgon@mike-leone.com> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Walt Mankowski <waltman@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 02:35:53PM -0500, Douglas Muth wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Please pardon this rant.  I only post because I thing others on this list have shared this pain.
>> >
>> > My boss was going to spend a lot of money for an NTP appliance.
>> [snip]
>>
>> Maybe I'm missing something, but what's wrong with existing Stratum 2
>> servers out there?
>
> Also, I never really understood in the previous thread on this topic
> why your boss felt you needed an entire dedicated box (even a tiny
> one) just to provide NTP.

And if you're running an Active Directory domain, any domain
controller (DC) is a NTP provider for pretty much anything that asks;
no need for any other local source. AD is very sensitive to time (and
DNS) changes.