John Karr on 22 Feb 2012 19:29:12 -0800

Re: [PLUG] NTP rant

If you have active directory you need the server with the PDC Role to sync
to an external time source. All other domain controllers will sync their
time to the PDC, all other Domain members will sync with the DC they are
currently authenticating to.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of JP Vossen
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:05 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] NTP rant

> Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 14:32:49 -0500
> From: Art Alexion<art.alexion@gmail.com>

> I can't get a single Windows machine -- the vast majority of our
> servers and desktops -- to sync with it.  In fact, two of my senior
> co-workers can get it to work with windows, either.  Most things we
> have tried, unsuccessfully have been WAY more complicated than the
> working Linux and OS X.

What did you try?

This is what I've used in my "mapdrives.cmd" since forever and it works for
me:

REM Force-set the time now
REM Win7 gives, but I don't care:
REM     System error 1314 has occurred.
REM     A required privilege is not held by the client.
net time \\your_ntp_server /set /yes

REM Update/correct the SNTP service, i.e. correct the default I found on REM
XP Pro:  "The current SNTP value is: time.windows.com,0x1"
REM See also: net time /querysntp
net time /SETSNTP:"your_ntp_server" > NUL

Later,
JP