Rich Freeman on 29 Feb 2012 16:44:33 -0800

Re: [PLUG] VI without a swapfile?

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 7:50 PM, sean finney <seanius@seanius.net> wrote:
> Depending on what exactly you're doing, you may not be able to
> do anything from within the filesystem.  I.e. the loopback may be
> implicitly read-only depending on filesystem type, the source file
> for the loopback device, etc.

I'm pretty sure that this is the issue.  Some filesystems just aren't
designed for modification, or the kernel may simply lack the ability
to do so.  In these cases you have to rebuild the whole filesystem.

SquashFS comes to mind as such a filesystem.

Rich