Isaac Bennetch on 7 Apr 2012 08:44:33 -0700

[PLUG] Debian LVM trouble: mounting udev on /dev failed; No such device

Hello,

I've got a Debian system running with LVM, basically so I can learn
LVM. That either worked too well or not at all; my system is now
broken beyond my Googling abilities :)

I'm on Debian Testing and I recently ran a large number of updates
from Aptitude. Now on reboot I get, in part, these messages (errors
are mine; it's hand copied as it scrolled past)
---
Mounting udev on /dev failed; No such device

modprobe: module unix not found in modules.dep

/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
Check that device-mapper is available in the kernel.

----
After which I'm dropped to a busybox shell and can't access the LVM group.

My understanding is that I do have device-mapper compiled in to my
custom kernel. For one thing, LVM has been working fine since I last
compiled it a year ago. Also in my .config:
CONFIG_DM_CRYPT  = m

Booting a rescue CD prompts me as to which device I want to use as the
root file system, selecting my LVM group; /dev/Debian/root does give
me access to my file system.

So, anyone with any hints on how to make my system boot properly? What
might have gone wrong?