LeRoy on 9 Apr 2012 03:41:38 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Debian LVM trouble: mounting udev on /dev failed; No such device

On 04/07/2012 01:52 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Isaac Bennetch <bennetch@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My understanding is that I do have device-mapper compiled in to my
>> custom kernel. For one thing, LVM has been working fine since I last
>> compiled it a year ago. Also in my .config:
>> CONFIG_DM_CRYPT  = m
>>

> Seems like the problem is with your kernel or initramfs.  Since LVM
> isn't built into the kernel (you built it as a module), you need a
> working initramfs to build.
>
>> Booting a rescue CD prompts me as to which device I want to use as the
>> root file system, selecting my LVM group; /dev/Debian/root does give
>> me access to my file system.
>
> This confirms that nothing is too messed up - the rescue CD has its
> own working kernel and initramfs.
>
> If you build your own custom kernel, you do need to make sure your
> initramfs is updated as well.  I imagine that if debian manages your
> kernel it knows to do this on its own.  However, if you compile a new
> kernel and stick it in /boot (or whever debian keeps it), then chances
> are that the kernel modules in the debian-supplied initramfs won't
> match the new kernel and won't load.  You need to rebuild your
> initramfs using whatever tools are provided by your distro, or roll
> your own (using some general tool like dracut, or from scratch).  Most
> distros have some automated tool that grabs your custom modules from
> /lib and places them into the initramfs.

If you are going to compile a kernel on debian based systems I would
install kernel-package which contains the utility make-kpkg which will
create a deb file for your new kernel and also create a new initrd.img
for your new kernel

> That is just a guess - I don't run Debian so I can't say for sure what
> is triggering those particular errors.  I wouldn't be surprised that
> if you ran dmesg from the shell (in the initramfs) that it showed you
> errors about modules failing to load.
>
> There are a bunch of other things that could go wrong, but that would
> be my first guess.
>
> Rich

- --
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy  mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com   /\_/\
                       http://lrcressy.com        ( o.o )
                       			           > ^ <
		       Cell Phone:  267-307-3527

Open PGP Key:     C34B77CC
gpg fingerprint:  8AD5 35EF 1FDF F1A7 E483  8CCE A50D 4E81 C34B 77CC

For info on enigmail:    http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/