Alan D. Salewski on 14 Apr 2012 18:38:13 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Mosh

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 05:55:37PM -0400, Casey Bralla spake thus:
> Anybody tried Mosh yet?  it looks to be a "screen" replacement.  I was not
> able to get a connection between 2 machines running Arch and Gentoo (mostly
> for lack of trying), but am wondering if it is any better than screen.
>
> Anybody tried it?
> --
>
> Casey Bralla

Not yet, but since versions of it are so easily available in debian
(both wheezy and sid), I will be soon(ish).

My (quick) read of the man page and the project site[0] is that it is
intended more as a replacement for interactive ssh client sessions
rather than a replacement for screen[1], and that it would actually be
useful to run instead of ssh within screen sessions where you do not
have a permanent connection to the remote machine. Rather than lose your
interactive session when disconnected (as would be the case with ssh),
when you get a new connection (from perhaps a different location), mosh
will try to re-synchronize your client-side session with the still-live
server side session that was never shut down.

I, too, would be interested in hearing if anyone has experience using
mosh.

-Al

[0] http://mosh.mit.edu/

[1] Though if you're looking for alternatives to screen, lots of people
    say good things about tmux:

        http://tmux.sourceforge.net/