Amul Shah on 15 Apr 2012 09:08:28 -0700

[PLUG] Questions about eSATA

I have a JetWay Mini-Top (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856107081) with an eSATA port on it. The specs page is not helpful and I'm trying to figure out a few things by probing the hardware.

1. Is the port powered?
    The eSATA port does double duty as a USB port, but I have no idea if that will put power over the eSATA line. Searching suggests that generic eSATA is not powered. The Wikipedia pages on the topic are helpful (below). Not having paid any attention to or used this kind of hardware, I haven't the slightest idea what to buy.
     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESATAp
     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esata#eSATAp

2. Does the eSATA port support multiple drives off one connection (does it have a built-in port multiplier)
     A comment on newegg mentions an attached RAID 5 enclosure, but I'm guessing it is a hardware RAID 5

thanks,
Amul