Gary Duzan on 19 Apr 2012 04:33:49 -0700

Re: [PLUG] large email volume for comcast user

In Message <fa8cd4ab45ff10a8fdea19f1fd4aa78d@njm.linuxwall.info>,
   Julien Vehent <julien@linuxwall.info>wrote:

=>On 2012-04-19 6:39, Gary Duzan wrote:
=>> In Message <a039799386ef581fe6e229ec9ab2edb3@njm.linuxwall.info>,
=>>    Julien Vehent <julien@linuxwall.info>wrote:
=>>
=>> =>Is comcast really going to count the number of SMTP connections he opens
=>> =>other SMTP servers every months ? That seems silly.
=>>
=>>    Why count them when you can simply block them? When I had Comcast
=>> they disallowed any outgoing SMTP, except to their mail server,
=>> where it is easy to count them. Now I have FIOS, but I still route
=>> email from my home network over a VPN tunnel to a Xen VPS I run.
=>>
=>> 					Gary Duzan
=>>
=>
=>Doesn't look blocked:
=>
=>$ nc alt3.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com 25
=>

   Right, they may wait until you exhibit "spam-like activity", i.e., actually
using it to send any email. I have no idea what criteria they used to flag me;
they aren't exectly open about that sort of thing, and less open about removing
a block.

					Gary Duzan