Michael Lazin on 27 Apr 2012 14:50:15 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04

funny you should mention this, because I installed ubuntu 12.04 as a fresh install on one of my desktops last night.  It installed the driver for my nvidia 400 series card no problem, and everything is working.  hdmi audio is working right now, but only on two channels.  I haven't set up surround sound yet, but I've done this on the last version of linux mint and I know how, so if anyone wants instructions on getting hdmi surround sound from an nvidia card on ubuntu, I'm you're man.

"sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras" gets you 64 bit flash, ms fonts and all the extra goodies.  I recommend it.  I installed gnome.  I hate unity.  "sudo apt-get install gnome" does it all.  It's gnome 2 in the repositories.  I may try to install gnome 3 myself later.  As a note, oracle java is no longer included in the partner repositories.  There were security problems with the versions in the repositories before, and instead of fixing it canonical removed it altogether.  I guess they don't like oracle.  This is an issue for me because I run ubuntu at work and I have tools that depend on "real" java.

Just to see if it would work I installed 12.04 on persistant flash drive and booted it on my work desktop and installed the latest version of oracle java in my home directory and started my finicky service and support environment.  It worked fine.  If you must have "real" java it isn't hard to install in a directory despite it's absence from the repositories.  There are PPAs already, but I wouldn't trust them on a work computer.

I am not sure what is going on but the hdmi audio support for my nvidia card on ubuntu 12.04 is a little bit buggy.  I'm using the real nvidia driver and there have been some crashes.  I am hoping this will be fixed in updates.  I hope this helps.  Peace

Michael