JP Vossen on 27 Apr 2012 22:07:42 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 16:43:36 -0400
From: "Eric at Lucii.org"<eric@lucii.org>

I'm considering upgrading my workstation from 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS.
I am not a fan of the early versions of Unity but I'm willing to try
the latest incarnation.

I didn't like the old versions at all. I *really* like the 12.04 version of Unity on a small screen. I've had 10.04 on my Mini9 for a bit over a month now and it's been great. I'm still not sure about it on a big screen, but I haven't really tried it. It's been OK on the mid-size laptop screen I tried it on.

The discoverability of things needs work. I'm thinking about creating a bug report that the default wallpaper should be a quick Unity HOWTO, including how to display the overlay cheat sheet (hold down the Super key). Once you find some keystrokes that work for it, it's a *lot* faster.

I have a whole long thing in my draft folder about the Mini9 upgrade, but I never find time to clean it up and send it out.

Another hesitation I have is choosing the architecture.  I have an
Athlon64 X2 processor and could use the 64 bit image.  One advantage
is that I could easily use all 4 GB of RAM without rebuilding my kernel.

When I tried this in 2008 or 2009 it was an extraordinary hassle because
programs like Firefox only had add-ons for 32 bit versions.  I lasted
about 3 weeks before I wiped it out and went back to 32 bit.  I need
those add-ons!

Is this still the case or have they come up with a better way to have the
32 bit applications co-exist on a 64 bit OS.

Any other experiences with 64 bit Ubuntu?

I've been using 64-bit on several machines since Ubuntu 10.04 and it Just Worked. I understand the FF issues, I share them, but the only problems I've had have been because plugin devs can't keep up with FF, nothing to do with 64-bit. Flash has been fine, though I generally loath it, youtube and stuff work. Note I'm not a gamer or into super video or anything like that. My computers are mostly computers.

Got 64-bit and stop worrying about the 2038 bug!!!  :-)

Later,
JP