Lee H. Marzke on 14 May 2012 21:25:57 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Can FOSS help school districts in trouble?

The Ubuntu local user group was collecting old laptops 2 years ago, loading netbook remix, and giving dozens away to schools from what I  remember.  Liz would know more.

Schools might better understand how to  make use of pre-configured laptops given to them than trying to convince them why they should reload their own computers with Linux.

--
Lee Marzke

----- Reply message -----
From: "Bill East" <wm.east@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, May 14, 2012 21:32
Subject: [PLUG] Can FOSS help school districts in trouble?
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Sam Gleske <sam.mxracer@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree.  I've been thinking about showcasing something like this to a
> local school in my area.  I don't know about any statistical spending but I
> think with a little bit of education for the educational system they'll
> begin to change their minds.

I mentioned this a year or so ago - my kids' parochial school had a passel
of laptops, decommissioned from a local pharma outfit, running Linux with a
nice front-end that presented a bunch of links and FOSS applications for
the young kids. I wanted to find out who had put this together for them but
had no luck. The hardware costs aside, this seemed like a great solution
for them.

With regards to the training and maintenance, I guess what might help would
be specific distros for education, relatively bulletproof and with a core
of educational IT folks supporting each other. Maybe the Gates foundation
could cut a check for a grant?...