Bill East on 14 May 2012 18:32:43 -0700
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
Re: [PLUG] Can FOSS help school districts in trouble?
- From: Bill East <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [PLUG] Can FOSS help school districts in trouble?
- Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 21:32:36 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=FeCr4HWLtUUYuyiyJQj8hKP4EHXfOUnQjdtg9HFuyfE=; b=Odp1tETJbOyqLmVJGqst9DzlS6VNqd9NYDb+V+Wvi2euvuH53hVSMxiVhnljv4Jf4F RZjZTXPGf0QYym6Ih6mFcK85uy8r+VLeHh72dirPx/225+Y6WkKVAH51raNGEeeihdC6 jmQXUOkDN9wCsvlL4VrI1MvZmc+uy/GGpj5wo0gt0JChtpZ8uI5QLIDN1rhA0jCyMg8z 7jPT0vif6aYGMkPr4+4Ea+TFNkb0u5reWwMomZNP4KzdP8TaaulaYFeuMe4tX0CG2olK 1ZUJirGVutW3nggUY9OMZoSdFS9CmnoN3Qvbv8tiVMDmvjsUOKHNRbT8nO/jyWGuo1SE D9Ig==
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: email@example.com
On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Sam Gleske <firstname.lastname@example.org>
I agree. I've been thinking about showcasing something like this to a local school in my area. I don't know about any statistical spending but I think with a little bit of education for the educational system they'll begin to change their minds.
I mentioned this a year or so ago - my kids' parochial school had a passel of laptops, decommissioned from a local pharma outfit, running Linux with a nice front-end that presented a bunch of links and FOSS applications for the young kids. I wanted to find out who had put this together for them but had no luck. The hardware costs aside, this seemed like a great solution for them.
With regards to the training and maintenance, I guess what might help would be specific distros for education, relatively bulletproof and with a core of educational IT folks supporting each other. Maybe the Gates foundation could cut a check for a grant?...
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug