Matt Mossholder on 18 May 2012 19:53:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] I need a book recommendation

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 10:21 PM, <jazzman@exdomain.org> wrote:
I wanted to start learning about computer and network security and things related to that and I'm looking for a few good books to start reading. Unfortunately the only books I've found readily available in book stores are certification study guides and I'm not sure that's the best place to start. I was looking for something more like a textbook or something like that.

Does anyone have any good recommendations?

Thanks in advance
Marc

The very first book I tell people to read to learn about computer security is "The Cuckoo's Egg" by Clifford Stoll.Â

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cuckoos-Egg-Tracking-Espionage/dp/1416507787/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1337395919&sr=1-1

It isn't going to teach you much that is particularly useful from a skillset perspective... but what it will do is show you the type of things that can happen, in a very easily readable way.

  Â--Matt