Floyd Johnson on 22 May 2012 19:39:52 -0700

Re: [PLUG] toy story2 nearly lost with rm

On 05/22/2012 04:00 PM, Mark Bergman  wrote:

I don't think that "to alias or non to alias" is the important question,
but whether you have backups, change control procedures procedures,
revision control, etc. that will mitigate the impact of the inevitable
mistake. At some point, there will be a mistake, regardless of any alias.

Having seen the video narrated by "those who were there", I am of a similar mind, that having a credible means to recover from either a mistake or a non-PEBCAK issue (hardware failure/loss, some system-intruder's electronic battering ram, and the like) is a more feasible move to prevent data loss than "make it impossible to mess up in the first place". Then again, doing both just *might* be a step closer to "impregnable file fortress"

In 1992, a stronger Un*x-wielding schoolmate had the sig quote, "What do you mean we didn't back it up?"