Doug Stewart on 22 May 2012 19:47:44 -0700

Re: [PLUG] toy story2 nearly lost with rm

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 10:39 PM, Floyd Johnson <fljohnson3@isp.com> wrote:
> On 05/22/2012 04:00 PM, Mark Bergman  wrote:
>
>> I don't think that "to alias or non to alias" is the important question,
>> but whether you have backups, change control procedures procedures,
>> revision control, etc. that will mitigate the impact of the inevitable
>> mistake. At some point, there will be a mistake, regardless of any alias.
>

> Having seen the video narrated by "those who were there", I am of a similar
> mind, that having a credible means to recover from either a mistake or a
> non-PEBCAK issue (hardware failure/loss, some system-intruder's electronic
> battering ram, and the like) is a more feasible move to prevent data loss
> than "make it impossible to mess up in the first place". Then again, doing
> both just *might* be a step closer to "impregnable file fortress"
>
> In 1992, a stronger Un*x-wielding schoolmate had the sig quote, "What do you
> mean we didn't back it up?"

Y'all seem to be misinterpreting my original statements (or, more
likely, I was less coherent than I thought) -- the alias is merely a
single, semi-beneficial, slightly-annoying but attention-getting tool
in a sysadmin's potential toolbag. It's not going to absolutely
prevent catastrophe (a fact of which I have first-hand,
did-I-just-delete-2TB-of-production-data? knowledge), but it IS going
to make for a nice tripwire that will catch at least a few braindead
moments at the end of 80 hour weeks.

YMMV.

--
-Doug