Jay Dobies on 8 Jun 2012 07:20:36 -0700

Re: [PLUG] I need a book recommendation

On 06/08/2012 10:09 AM, Julien Mills wrote:

    I read this book when I was a teenager and it made me want to learn
    Unix. I studied philosophy in college but taught myself Unix on the
    campus aix system at Carolina when I was a student there. The funny
    thing is I didn't do anything with my philosophy degree but now I do
    Linux webserver security as a career. Go figure.

Any other books, required reading for geeks, anyone can recommend?

If you're looking for fiction...

For the video game geeks or really anyone who grew up in the 80s, Ready Player One was awesome.

It's been years since I read it, but I remember enjoying Digital Fortress. Not quite the level of technical accuracy of Cuckoo's Egg, but fun if you can suspend disbelief on some of the tech (the description about visualizing hackers trying to get into a system was comical).

--
Jay Dobies
Freenode: jdob @ #pulp