Austin Murphy on 8 Jun 2012 08:19:46 -0700

Re: [PLUG] I need a book recommendation

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Julien Mills <julienfmills@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Any other books, required reading for geeks, anyone can recommend?

These are by no means "Required" reading, but I think they are worth mentioning.

* Being Digital by Nicholas Negroponte (1996)
  http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/57020.Being_Digital

I read this in the 90s and I don't remember the details so much now,
but I think it had some effect in mentally preparing me for the next
decade.  Beware, Negroponte is kind a of a charismatic leader type.
At this point it might be more interesting as a record of the fervor
that surrounded the internet in the 90s.

* A Quarter Century of Unix by Peter Salus (1994)
  http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/605971.A_Quarter_Century_of_Unix

I read this recently and enjoyed it mostly for the first hand accounts
of the origins of UNIX.  It doesn't really have much in the way of
predictions, training or excitement, but it is helpful for
understanding why some things are the way they are now.  An eyeopener
for me was the UNIX command list from the early 1970s, most of which
are still present in Linux.

* When Sysadmins ruled the earth by Cory Doctorow (2006)
  http://craphound.com/overclocked/Cory_Doctorow_-_Overclocked_-_When_Sysadmins_Ruled_the_Earth.html

This is mostly just a silly short story, but it's still amusing and
topical.  It is also freely available to download or read online.

Austin