JP Vossen on 9 Jun 2012 00:40:24 -0700

Re: [PLUG] I need a book recommendation

Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 12:45:30 -0400

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Jay Dobies <jason.dobies@redhat.com> wrote:
>  I'm one of the few geeks who just doesn't get Stephenson. I want to try Snow
>  Crash again but I hated Cryptonomicon. It felt like 100 pages of story
>  stretched out into 800 pages of fluff.

That's definitely a position I can respect. I think it's something to
do with his OCD-esque prose at points. He focuses on details that
might seem trivial (Proper Methodology For Eating Cap'n Crunch comes
to mind) but that appeal to a certain strain in some folks. I read
those sections and think "Well played, good sir." while others think
"What a waste...!"

Sign me up for a fan, and that bit had me rolling on the floor. But I can't get into the Baroque stuff, and I can't read him (or Gibson) when I have too much else going on, he's too dense.

But I haven't seen anyone mention "In the Beginning was
the Command Line" http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning.html, which is arguably more on topic than anything else. The Hole Hog bit puts me on the floor every time too. Also interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Beginning..._Was_the_Command_Line

I learned yesterday that Mark Russinovich has written at least one novel called _Zero Day: A Novel_. I obviously haven't read it yet, but it could be interesting.

Later,
JP