Christopher Ochsenreither on 11 Jun 2012 20:01:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux Gaming

Sauerbraten runs on the Cube 2 engine. The fun thing about Sauerbraten is that you can do cooperative editing of maps in the game. There is also educational software called Platinum Arts Sandbox built on Cube 2 that allows one to build maps. You can install both from the Ubuntu Software Center. As far as game play, I like the Quake III engine much better. In Sauerbraten, it makes absolutely no difference whether you shoot a player in the foot or the head, it's going to do the same amount of damage. On the other hand, Quake III's "vanilla" physics allows you to do some interesting things. You can launch yourself or another player into the air by shooting at the player's feet with a rocket, you can push a team-mate forward with the rail gun in capture the flag without doing damage, and other wacky things.

Nexuiz looks like it's worth checking out.