Rich Freeman on 2 Jul 2012 04:08:08 -0700

Re: [PLUG] When unmute isn't

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 12:01 AM, jeff <jeffv@op.net> wrote:

> When I got home, I followed a hunch and visited the speaker icon on the
> taskbar (Xubuntu).  There I had about FOUR choices of hardware/software to
> make volume adjustments:
>
> Is there an actual good reason for this?

Whenever I run alsamixer I end up with a similar result - about 300
different settings to change, and they are presumably chained together
in some bizarre array for which there is no schematic.  It probably
wouldn't hurt to hide away most of them behind some kind of "the rest
of these are set at reasonable defaults and we suggest not touching
them" setting.  However, I think the default set by alsa-utils was to
have no working sound at all...  :)

Rich