JP Vossen on 5 Jul 2012 14:50:46 -0700

Re: [PLUG] When unmute isn't

Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 13:46:39 -0400
From: jeff<jeffv@op.net>

On 07/02/2012 12:57 PM, Claude M. Schrader wrote:
>For what it's worth next time, you can just run the `alsamixer` command in
>a terminal, and hit `m` when your mixer is selected

Will this act upon Pulse?
Pulse (the last option) was what was muted.

You used to hear nothing but problems with Linux sound, but that seems to have mostly tapered off. I was thinking that ALSA and Pulse did the same thing, but now that I look at it again that's not quite true.

Short and interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PulseAudio

The particular point in the wikipedia article that is relevant for Jeff is that JACK is a replacement for Pulse (if I'm reading it right) and is preferred for professional audio. Perhaps one day when you feel like tempting fate... :-)

Later,
JP