Rich Freeman on 7 Jul 2012 06:53:23 -0700

Re: [PLUG] So, That's it for Thunderbird

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Eric at Lucii.org <eric@lucii.org> wrote:
> One aspect of moving from Thunderbird to KMail is annoying:
> Thunderbird used mbox while KMail uses (did?) maildir.

I always just set up imap.  That's a way-better experience if you ever
want to switch mail clients and it completely abstracts away mailbox
format.  Plus the mail clients are much less likely to wipe out your
mail (the imap server is another story).  IMAP is supported by any
full-featured mail client - about the only ones that won't support it
are very minimal terminal-based clients.

The other thing I do is backup my maildir.  That is of course much
easier to do if it is in fact in maildir format since creation of new
files is trivially handled by any incremental backup tool.

Rich