Eric at Lucii.org on 7 Jul 2012 06:45:27 -0700

Re: [PLUG] So, That's it for Thunderbird

On 07/07/2012 07:57 AM, Casey Bralla wrote:
> On Saturday, July 07, 2012 7:27:47 AM Eric at Lucii.org wrote:
>> This is somewhat depressing:
>>
>> "We have come to the conclusion that continued innovation on Thunderbird is not the best use of our resources given our ambitious organizational goals."
>>
>> http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/06/so-thats-it-for-thunderbird/
>>
>> [sarcasm] Oh, GREAT [end sarcasm]
>>
>> I would revert to mutt but too much of my current email has some html elements that don't do so well [understatement] when rendered on a terminal.
>>
>> KMail?  Evolution?  Outlook in a VM?  [spits, washes mouth out with strong soap.]
>>
>> What's a Linux geek to do?
>>
>> Eric
>

> For a while, my KMail on Gentoo was crashing all the time (probably due to a library dependancy problem), so I explored other eMail clients.  The bottom line to me was that KMail was far and away the best of the lot.  Next best was claws, which I used until I finally ditched Gentoo in resigned disgust (it had been soooo wonderful for years).
>
> I also tried Thunderbird, and found it adequate, but nothing spectacular. Making it more "community maintained" might actually help.
>
> BTW, I'm back with Debian Testing and KMail.  Ahhhhhh...... sweet relief.

I was a SuSE and KDE fan for many years and used KMail extensively.
Great program.

At one point it failed miserably and it corrupted a bunch of mail which
drove me to find a replacement.  I settled on Thunderbird after several
years of mutt.

One aspect of moving from Thunderbird to KMail is annoying:
Thunderbird used mbox while KMail uses (did?) maildir.

maildir is much better (IMHO) than mbox but it appeared to be less
portable between mail clients.

On thing I look forward to is not having Thunderbird consume 176.4
Megabytes of RAM to write an email (this one.)  That's just nuts.

Thanks for the nudge - checkin' it out.

Eric
- --
#  Eric Lucas