Eric H. Johnson on 9 Jul 2012 04:07:31 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux friendly tablet?

FYI,

Tiger Direct is having an under $300 sale on laptops and tablets. There are
several Android tablets available for under $300.

See:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/email/wem3166.asp?cm_re=Homepage-_-Spot%2002-_-em
ail_wem3166

Regards,
Eric

As many of you know I'm more of a tool guy (e.g. swiss army knife) than
gadget guy, but it seems like it might finally be time for a tablet.

I refuse to have any iDevices in the house, so that basically leaves
Android, AFAIK.  While in theory devices build on top of Linux should be
Linux friendly, not everything is (see TomTom).

So what is a good, inexpensive Linux friendly tablet?  Use cases as follows:

* Stay-at-home Mom, for email, web surfing, simple apps, etc.  (WiFi only is
fine, we're not doing any kind of data plan, if that even applies to
tablets)
* Kid friendly (6 & 8), preferably edutainment-type stuff
* Angry Birds is apparently a requirement (hey, that teaches ballistics,
right?)
* Cut the rope, ditto

Related, recommended apps?

* Astronomy, ideally including satellite info
* Video creator (hate to admit it, but iMovie is pretty awesome)
* eBook reader (but won't work well in direct sun, right?)
* Movie player
* Netflix?  (Optional, we have the DVD-only plan now)
* What else don't I know about?

Thanks,
JP