Rich Freeman on 9 Jul 2012 06:17:10 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux friendly tablet?

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 9:08 AM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com> wrote:
> Careful, the Archos tablets I have seen can't connect to the Android Market
> due to their failure to meet minimum Google requirements.

Well, these say Honeycomb, and that was never open source, so the only
way they could have shipped that is if Google gave it to them.  The
ones that were not tend to run Froyo or Gingerbread.  Google was
pretty closed with the original Tablet experience and quite a few
"unsanctioned" tablets ended up being shipped as a result (if you
don't offer a supply, others will).  I think that was a mistake on
Google's part - I understand that they wanted to create relationships
with carriers, but if you want to steer an open-source ship you have
to stay ahead of it.

Rich