Lee H. Marzke on 14 Jul 2012 11:05:59 -0700

Re: [PLUG] just an update curiosity

Bhaskar,

Do you have the Mobile-Pre 7.0 (out of production) or newer mkII that is
currently being sold? I need to do the same to my large collection of LP's.

Eric,

You also seem to be mixing server loads ( Database, file storage, etc ) with
your desktop use. Why not (re)build your server with linux software RAID,
storage and also run all your database there and web apps there and stop
using that for a desktop. Also you mentioned testing mixed with production, which
is never a good idea. Why not build
up a virtualization server with your choice of KVM, Xen, or my favorite ESX
which allows yo to run multiple servers for testing/upgrading and production.
This server needs lots of RAM and disk, but not a lot of CPU. You also
can tuck the server and UPS away in your basement/closet, so sound
is not a issue.

Then do all your audio and other desktop needs on a new desktop/laptop
( which now does not need large disks or lots of RAM, etc, as those
are now handled by the server )

You also don't need to keep your desktop running all the time and
it will be quiet.

Lee