K.S. Bhaskar on 14 Jul 2012 09:20:05 -0700

Re: [PLUG] just an update curiosity

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 8:12 PM, Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 8:08 PM, Matt Berlin <arkestra@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you're going to the the trouble of ripping lps, you shouldn't even be in
> the same room.

I tend to prefer AMD, and you get very good bang for the buck. ÂPick
and choose what you invest in.

I did want to comment that you don't want to spend a lot of money on
CPUs for sound processing, unless you're doing a LOT of it (think
conversion server being fed tons of audio from who knows where, or
realtime digital from MANY sources). ÂIf you spend half an hour
capturing an LP you'll probably spend all of 3 mins transcoding it if
you parallelize it, and unless you're striping your hard drive might
just limit you before CPU.

Multi-channel audio was also mentioned. ÂI'd talk to somebody who does
that stuff first. ÂConsumer sound cards are pretty limited there. ÂYou
might do better to record digitally elsewhere and just transfer the
audio to the PC, or use some other external capture solution. ÂMaybe
there are great sound cards for that for the PC, but they're not a
typical consumer market item.

[KSB] For digitizing my 300+ LPs as a background project, I have been using Audacity on XFCE on a first generation System 76 netbook (Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, 300ish GB drive) now upgraded to 12.04 LTS. ÂFor digitizing, I have a older generation USB M-Audio MobilePre. ÂIt's not fast, but does everything I need.

I also transfer them to the SD card on my CrackBerry.

What I haven't figured out is when playing them from said CrackBerry in my car stereo via BlueTooth, the display picks up a picture of the album cover from somewhere and displays it on the screen. ÂThat's a bit scary...

Regards
-- Bhaskar

Rich

Windows does to computers what smoking does to humans