Doug Crompton on 23 Jul 2012 09:31:13 -0700

Re: [PLUG] DCAnet dropping DSL

Unfortunatly I backed myself into this stupidly thinking that things can
go on forever. A few years ago DCANET said they would be there for the
long haul so I put my mind at ease. The letter from DCANET had the
following line -

"Unfortunately, Verizon has decided to discontinue supporting DCANET in
its provision of ADSL services despite it regulatory requirement to do
so."

If there is in fact a regulatory requirement then I am not sure why that
avenue is not being pursued. They kind of threw that statement in but did
not elaborate. Perhaps it is an easy way out for them (DCANET) blaming it
on Verizon and not fighting for them to abide by the regulation. I did
send DCANET an email asking for clarification on that but I have not heard
back. To me giving up is giving in and the last bastion of competition
will go away.

Talking about competition it looks like Verizon (FIOS) and Comcast are the
only games in town. I looked at both quickly on the web and it seems they
are about the same in services and price when you add it all up. About
$80/month for a business class static IP connection.

I have a rather unique system here. I use direct TV and right now I have
DCANET DSL. I have verizon local (minimum) phone service - about
$20/month, I use Asterisk and route local calls to POTS and anything else
to a pay as you go VOIP provider. I host numerous web pages, all non
profit, a mail server, and do my own DNS. I don't need any services other
than a pipe to the Internet. At my shore property I have minimum DSL only,
no phone and direct TV. I use VOIP from my Asterisk server to supply an
extension there. So this change will effect what I do there also.

Doug

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012, Rich Freeman wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Michael Leone <turgon@mike-leone.com> wrote:
> >
> > I gave up my home server about 4 years ago, once I realized I didn't
> > really need a home server. :-)
>
> I've been keeping mine for the most part, although the move towards
> mobile/cloud solutions has made me semi-migrate some stuff off of it.
> Right now my server receives most of my mail, but it just forwards it
> onto gmail/etc (yes, I know I can point my MX direct to Google - I
> prefer to be able to create addresses on a whim like the one I'm using
> here and know that all received mail is backed up).
>
> For stuff like the odd web app it is a lot cheaper to just host my own
> solution and access it over FIOS than to run a VPS (Amazon or
> otherwise).  The TOS prohibits servers but Verizon doesn't care if
> once a month somebody looks at my photo album, and hosting 10GB of
> photos on a dedicated AWS server is just massive overkill.
>
> Hosted solutions tend to make more sense when the main costs are
> bandwidth.  When the main costs are just having the server sitting
> there and storage, then hosting it at home is a lot cheaper, assuming
> that reliability isn't a big concern - the only thing the ISP sees is
> the bandwidth and if there isn't much they won't care.
>
> If I were running a business I'd be much more likely to host it out of
> AWS/etc.  I do use S3 for my backups (just critical data, not
> everything on my hard drives - I'm paying more for it to be offsite
> than for storage per-se, and I use reduced redundancy storage to save
> money since the backup is already redundant).
>
> Rich

"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people,
it is true that most stupid people are conservative"

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-355-5307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *