Doug Crompton on 23 Jul 2012 10:21:02 -0700

Re: [PLUG] DCAnet dropping DSL

I called the PA PUC and they referred me to the FCC and the PUC has no
control over Internet only phone. I called the FCC and they are getting
back to me. The PUC also adviced me to contact the Bureau of Comsumer
protection. I still have not heard back from DCANET.

Doug

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012, Rich Freeman wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Doug Crompton <doug@crompton.com> wrote:
> > If there is in fact a regulatory requirement then I am not sure why that
> > avenue is not being pursued.
>
> Spend tens of thousands of dollars on lawyers, watch the opposition
> drag things out for years, and in the end chances are the only ruling
> that they might get is that Verizon has to provide them service, which
> is apparently what the law already says they have to do.  With court
> oversight they'd be more likely to actually follow it, but they could
> probably still charge rates that make them less competitive, and all
> that assumes they haven't gone out of business in the meantime.
>
> It has to be hard to compete as well, as static IP friendly-TOC
> service is becoming less and less important these days.  The only real
> need for these are setting up servers that get real use, and it is
> cheaper to just do that in the cloud.  If you just need to set up VPN
> tunnels you can do that with a dynamic IP - just make sure you have
> some central point that is stable for everything to connect to, and
> that can be in the cloud.
>
> Rich

"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people,
it is true that most stupid people are conservative"

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-355-5307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *