Rich Freeman on 31 Jul 2012 03:52:20 -0700

Re: [PLUG] DCANET response

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:33 AM, Sam Gleske <sam.mxracer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunate.  And unfortunately so long as there is two or three companies
> that still provide internet then they can't be slapped with an antitrust
> suit so it's unlikely we'll ever have the upper hand with this kind of
> corporate bullying.

Sure they can - it is "antitrust" - not "antimonopoly".  A single
company isn't a trust, although the law applies to monopolies as well.
 The problem is that the collusion isn't overt, and there is a lack of
political will to enforce the law.

I think I've already posted my thoughts on the subject - break up the
vertical integration and have the lines owned by a utility with heavy
regulation that operates on a cost-plus system and only transmits the
signals to the CO.  If the telecom makes the same money with ISP A vs
B and isn't an ISP themselves, then they have incentive to provide the
best service to all.

Rich