Rich Freeman on 21 Aug 2012 07:02:50 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux friendly tablet?

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Eric at Lucii.org <eric@lucii.org> wrote:

> CyanogenMod has timely downloads for it as: "Samsung Galaxy Nexus (vzw)"
> Is it difficult (read: risky) to install CyanogenMod?

Don't own a Galaxy Nexus, but it should be simple to install CM on
that device, and almost completely risk-free.  The bootloader is
unlocked already, and tampering with the bootloader is really the main
way to brick your device.  You just have to unlock it with the
fastboot oem unlock command (per the official Google docs).

See:
http://source.android.com/source/building-devices.html

You're not actually going to build from source, so the bottom half of
that page doesn't matter to you.  I'm sure CM has the same details on
their page as well as instructions for installing it.  If you don't
like it just download the official image files from Google and flash
them back.

The official images are at:
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

I'd recommend wiping user data when going between completely different
firmwares.  Usually upgrading within a single firmware family does not
require this.

Rich