Conor Schaefer on 21 Aug 2012 08:06:42 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux friendly tablet?

I'm running CyanogenMod on a Galaxy Nexus. The greatest benefit other than sheer customizability is root access for apps that require it. The CM team has been thinking hard about smart ways to implement root: http://www.cyanogenmod.com/blog/security-and-you

Under the current implementation, you must explicitly authorize an app to receive root privileges. I'm using encryption on top of this, which plays very nicely with CM, as I've misplaced phones before, and don't want the agony of nuking remotely anymore and hoping it worked.

Here's the full update guide for the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Galaxy_Nexus_%28Verizon%29:_Full_Update_Guide

Note that unlocking the bootloader will perform a factory reset, so you'll lose absolutely everything that isn't backed up. I also use ROM Manager (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.rommanager&hl=en) for easy access to nightly builds. There's a premium version for $5.99, but that link's to the free version.

Happy rooting. =)

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Eric at Lucii.org <eric@lucii.org> wrote:

> CyanogenMod has timely downloads for it as: "Samsung Galaxy Nexus (vzw)"
> Is it difficult (read: risky) to install CyanogenMod?

Don't own a Galaxy Nexus, but it should be simple to install CM on
that device, and almost completely risk-free. ÂThe bootloader is
unlocked already, and tampering with the bootloader is really the main
way to brick your device. ÂYou just have to unlock it with the
fastboot oem unlock command (per the official Google docs).

See:
http://source.android.com/source/building-devices.html

You're not actually going to build from source, so the bottom half of
that page doesn't matter to you. ÂI'm sure CM has the same details on
their page as well as instructions for installing it. ÂIf you don't
like it just download the official image files from Google and flash
them back.

The official images are at:
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

I'd recommend wiping user data when going between completely different
firmwares. ÂUsually upgrading within a single firmware family does not
require this.

Rich