Paul L. Snyder on 22 Aug 2012 10:38:11 -0700

Re: [PLUG] EXTERNAL: Re: Tried of Windows...

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Grabowy, Chris wrote:

> The media is on other drives, so I would just let the Linux installer format the boot drive with whatever it wanted to use.

Good, that's the best and easiest.  You can ignore the bits about
reformatting.

> Since the media is still on the other drives (NTFS) do I still need Samba
> for the other Linux (XBMC) boxes to access the media files?
>
> Wouldn't they be accessible with NFS or something?

I'm assuming you mean other-drives-on-the-box-acting-as-file-server?  If
so, the file server does need to serve them up using some protocol that
XBMC can understand.  NFS is one option.  CIFS (a.k.a. SMB) is another.
Either way, you'll have to install the appropriate daemon and configure it
to share the files on the other drives.  For most sharing on my home
network I usually use the FUSE-based SSHFS, though this probably isn't the
best for an HTPC-type setup.

Personally, I think NFS is pretty unpleasant to work with, so I avoid it
whenever possible.  If you want to use it, the XMBC wiki has instructions
on how to set it up.

  http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=NFS

Samba and XMBC both have very good support for CIFS, and you don't need to
feel tainted by using it in a Linux-based home network.  If you set up a
public share for your media drives, it should work fine.

Another option is UPnP.  I've been meaning to get around to looking into it
more but haven't had the time, so I'll leave it to someone else on the list
to recommend a package for this, or to comment on how well it works.

Paul