Rich Freeman on 22 Aug 2012 11:49:26 -0700

Re: [PLUG] EXTERNAL: Re: Tried of Windows...

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Paul L. Snyder <plsnyder@drexel.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Grabowy, Chris wrote:
>
>> The media is on other drives, so I would just let the Linux installer format the boot drive with whatever it wanted to use.
>
> Good, that's the best and easiest.  You can ignore the bits about
> reformatting.

Can linux reliably work with ntfs filesystems now?  I know that used
to be very buggy in the past.  I'd probably try to get those onto
something more conventional like ext4 - perhaps little by little.

> Personally, I think NFS is pretty unpleasant to work with, so I avoid it
> whenever possible.  If you want to use it, the XMBC wiki has instructions
> on how to set it up.

If you don't care about security it works reasonably well for linux
clients.  I agree though that it is a pretty archaic protocol.  I'm
just amazed that there really is no good network file sharing solution
for linux - it is just such an amazing gap.  If you want your data to
be secure but to fully respect all POSIX attributes/etc you're up the
creek, or messing around with openafs/etc.

Rich