Amul Shah on 3 Sep 2012 07:56:23 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Tried of Windows...

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012, at 04:13 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
> However, there are now more and more non-source-based distros that are
> moving towards rolling releases.  Sabayon is a prime example - it is
> just Gentoo with a reference configuration.  If you stick with that
> configuration you get prebuilt binary packages like any other distro,
> and if you want to deviate you can use all the Gentoo features to
> build those packages differently.

My experience was that Sabayon was too bleeding edge, poorly documented (you often ended up in Gentoo), and it locked me out of my machine. Logging in as root to fixed my password in /etc/shadow did not work! On back on Debian again (which is how I got to Ubuntu). Stick to Gentoo/Arch if you're going source based. Wait until one of their derivative binary distros seems to get traction or you will come away as sour as I am. One of these days, I'm going to move my Myth box to Gentoo so that I can upgrade Myth sooner.

M2C,
Amul