Morgan Jones on 19 Sep 2012 11:52:14 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Upcoming December talk

On Sep 19, 2012, at 9:56 AM, Mark Dominus wrote:

>> Since nobody has any opinion on this, I will pick something that I
>> know everyone will dislike.
>
> Probably it will involve a lot of advanced mathematics, and I will
> wear my chaps.  You will all be so, so sorry.

This may not be a whole night's topic but it's always bugged me and I'm curious if I'm alone:

I would be interested to hear how you use perl modules as a programmer.  I do a fair amount of Perl programming and use my scripts at different customer sites.  There is nothing I find more frustrating than a script with a dozen dependencies which themselves have several dependencies.  I'll admit it's been a while since I used the CPAN module but it was only of moderate help the last time I used it.

Ultimately what I do is try to meet my needs without modules and limit my use to necessities.

Is there a trick I'm missing or are modules just difficult and that's the way it is?

-morgan