Eric H. Johnson on 20 Nov 2012 05:41:30 -0800

Re: [PLUG] [plug-announce] PLUG West Winter meetings CANCELLED

I also think it is a good idea to have some more introductory or more
general interest topics. Below are a couple of general interest talks I
would like to see, however I think I am only marginally qualified to talk on
the first one, MythTV and not sure what to do about the hardware. I do not
really want to bring in my Myth server. This is followed by a group of
topics I am more qualified to talk about.

Introductory general interest topics.

1> Intro to MythTV

2> Linux Steam Game platform
This was just recently released for Linux.
http://store.steampowered.com/

3> Android under the hood
Particularly with a focus on tablets.

Topics I could talk about

1> Update my Dark Side of the Internet presentation
There have been many developments in this area since I gave this talk a year
or so ago.

2> Using Glade
Glade is a cross platform RAD tool which decouples the user interface from
the application logic. The logic can be driven by many languages, for
presentation purposes I would use just enough Python to show how it works.
http://glade.gnome.org/

3> Driving LCD displays with LCDproc
LCDProc is an open source library for driving small LCD displays like those
from Matrix-orbital or CrystalFontz. MythTV for example can be configured to
use LCDProc (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/LCDproc) to display information like
that displayed on a commercial DVD/Blue ray player. I would anticipate using
just enough python to show how to drive the display.
http://lcdproc.org/

Regards,
Eric

One way to boost attendance might be to have some talks that
are more introductory.