ksbhaskar on 1 Dec 2012 09:46:00 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Cinnamon desktop?

I did try Cinammon some months ago, but something didn't quite work right - but I forget what it was.  I use KDE now and but for the fact that it is a bit ponderous (albeit graceful - think elephant), it works very well for me since I have a fast laptop with 8 GiB RAM.

What I am running on a couple of laptops at home is Razor-qt (razor-qt.org & PPA).  I also use it on my regular laptop from time to time and will probably switch once they implement a battery life applet.  Razor is still under development, but is fast, light and stable - just a little light in the apps area but gtk & qt apps all run well (it's the applets that are really needed).  Take a look at it & tell me what you think.

Regards
-- Bhaskar

-----Original Message-----
From: JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org>
Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 23:48:51
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List<plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Subject: [PLUG] Cinnamon desktop?

Is anyone using the Cinnamon desktop in Mint or Ubuntu?  Thoughts?

While I like Unity on some form-factors (like the Mini9) and for some
users (non-power), I'm not sure it's what I want on my personal
large-screen workstation, or for the kid's laptop.  And with the 2013-04
deadline getting closer, I need to finally finish upgrading from 10.04
to 12.04 (I'm sticking with LTS).

For me, it seems like Unity really wants to run most things full-screen,
and that's just too much and too ugly on a big screen.  I know you don't
*have* to run full-screen, but...  I also really like the Gnome2
interface, it just makes sense to me in  way that Windows (and KDE)
never did.  XFCE and LXDE are nice too, but lubuntu-desktop is *very*
Windows-like (good for switching Windows users though), and I'm just not
thrilled with xubuntu-desktop.  (And annoying, Lubuntu 20.04 is *not* LTS.)

So, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MATE_%28desktop_environment%29 is nice,
but it's just Gnome2 forked with some minor changes, EXCEPT, no
"Indicator Applet Session" in top right.  I could use that or--for 12.04
LTS anyway--"Gnome Classic" (handy:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PreciseGnomeClassicTweaks)...  But...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon_%28user_interface%29 is *really*
cool.  It's a Gnome3/shell fork that still looks a lot like Gnome2, but
the menu is actually *much* nicer and cooler, and it combines the best
of both worlds with menu discovery and typing speed.  I don't care that
much about "pretty" or eyecandy, but that's all there if you want it.

The default Cinnamon has everything at the bottom (like
Windows/Lubuntu), but you can easily change that in the Cinnamon control
panel, and it's already 2-panel (Gnome2-like) by default in
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cinnamon-remix/.

Another nice thing about MATE and Cinnamon is that they track indicator
messages for you!  Why Unity doesn't do this is beyond me; if you miss
it it's gone.  Forget about trying to read it, copy and paste from it,
etc.  It's just there and gone.  MATE and Cinnamon let you get 'em back
and read 'em.  Duh...

Linux Mint itself looks really nice, but--like Lubuntu--the default
looks far too much like Windows for me.  That's easy enough to change,
of course, and Mint is 95% Ubuntu anyway, but for now I think I'd rather
run Ubuntu + Cinnamon.  For one thing, it's then really easy to just
'aptitude install *-desktop' for something else.

Cinnamon on Ubuntu 12.04
     #
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/09/20/install-cinnamon-1-6-in-ubuntu-12-04-lts/
     * sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
     * sudo aptitude update
     * apt-get install cinnamon

I know why they did it, but the window controls on the left still really
bugs me.  Unity and Gnome Classic still do that, all the others have
them on the right by default, but Cinnamon is cool because it's really
easy to move them around (nice GUI conf, no gconf-editor).

I have a test laptop with a bunch of this stuff installed on Ubuntu
12.04.  I'm not sure it's an entire hour, but I could bring that and
demo this stuff at the next PLUG W/N meeting(s) if nothing better
presents itself.

And by the way, how cool is this?  With a Mac or Windows, you are just
stuck with whatever crap the vendor gives you.  (And I don't care what
you Mac people say, I hate the Mac GUI.)  With Linux, and to be fair the
BSDs and some other systems, you can find something that works well for
you, and then change it as needed.  'aptitude update && aptitude
full-upgrade', not having to worry about licenses, and above all, all
this freedom of choice...  This is why I can't understand why anyone
uses anything else.  (Yeah, yeah, games and Windows-only crap...  We're
getting there... :)

Later,
JP