Michael Leone on 22 Dec 2012 07:46:09 -0800

Re: [PLUG] VMware Workstation 8/9, Player 4/5 & Ubuntu 12.04, (& 12.10)

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 1:20 AM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 10:41:27 -0500
>> From: "Eric H. Johnson"<ejohnson@camalytics.com>
>

>> The nested virtualization caught my attention. I was trying to play with
>> TAILS (part of the Tor project:https://tails.boum.org/). To build a custom
>> distro requires virtualization (VirtualBox) and TAILs is based on Debian.
>> don't have a Debian based machine and without nested virtualization, means
>> Debian needs to be installed to bare metal.
>>
>> You don't happen to know if one can nest a VM other than VMWare?
>

> I don't sorry.  I was actually kind of surprised that even VMware allowed
> it, though it does seem new.  I dunno, that just feel kinda "icky" to me.
> :-)  I do see how it can be quite useful in some special circumstances
> though.

With VMware, you can nest the ESXi servers (the virtualization hosts).
That's how most VMware training happens - the ESXi hosts you practice
on are actually VMs running on other ESXi hosts. You'd never know it,
unless the trainer told you. :-) The nested host works the same as any
other.