Amir Tahvildaran on 9 Jan 2013 12:41:57 -0800

Re: [PLUG] good linux mail clients

I'm in the same boat.  Loved thunderbird unti I really started using gmail and it's labels, shortcuts, etc.

I know some people don't like their data stored on google servers, etc.

Michael,
  I remember having to manually partition my large thunderbird operations -- trying to find the largest batch that wouldn't crash it.  I'd only really do this a few times a year.  Maybe you should consider a different tool (script, etc) for the bulk operations.

-Amir

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Michael Lazin <microlaser@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have a recommendation of a better
> mail client for linux than thunderbird?

I have nothing to offer but I'm all ears.  I too gave up on
Thunderbird a few years ago.  Now I basically exclusively use Gmail
(email is sent to my own postfix server, and auto-forwarded to a gmail
account, and sent mail in gmail is swept with fetchmail - that gives
me a complete IMAP archive of my mail, granted in one monster inbox I
try not to look at).  My own requirements include:

1.  Must support pure web environment (it can have clients too, but
web-only support is minimal).  Web client must include keyboard
shortcuts to move around email, delete, and move to pre-designated
folders.

2.  Must support offline email on Android though some client.

3.  Must be free as in beer, but free as in freedom is of course better.

The best I've seen tossed out so far is Zimbra, but it isn't free if
you want an Android app, and is a bit limited in general for the free
version.  It is also one of those all-encompassing thing that
basically needs its own box/distro (which could be viewed as good or
bad - less flexibility, but potentially less maintenance).

FOSS is generally lacking in free web-based applications.  Almost
everything is X11, which is nice if you're running X11, but more and
more stuff (even linux-based stuff) doesn't support it.

Rich