Isaac Bennetch on 27 Jan 2013 08:09:32 -0800

Re: [PLUG] dual networking question

On 1/27/13 10:50 AM, Eric at Lucii.org wrote:

I'm meeting Monday morning with an IT consultant to discuss setting
up dual wireless networks in our church.  One will be staff only and
will have access to the network resources (printer, shared drives,
etc. as well as the Internet.)  The other will be public access and
only have access to the Internet.  The consultant has said that we'll
need a second connection to the Internet (currently we have
Comcast.)

I think he's wrong.  I think we can have two separate networks with
different ip address ranges and the server (Windows Server 2008) will
only allow one of those ranges to have access to the network
resources.  Everybody would have access to the Internet.  My idea is
that the staff network would be 192.168.1.x and the public network
would be 192.168.100.x.  The staff wireless network would be the same
ip range as the Ethernet network in the office.

Am I right?  Can this be done this way?  Maybe we'll need two routers
connected to the Comcast modem or configure the existing router
(Linksys IIRC) to handle two network ip ranges?

I suppose it depends on the specifics of your routing and configuration, but my Asus RT-N12 router can handle this, in fact I believe this is a common feature with Tomato/DD-WRT/OpenWRT firmware as well. In my case, the router WAN port connects to the cable modem. The router gets the DHCP lease from the cable modem. Then I plug in whatever I want to the wired ports and can configure multiple wifi access points -- and they can be restricted to only the WAN or to also access the LAN side. Basically it is the implementation of your idea mentioned above.

I'm having trouble fathoming why you'd need a second internet connection.