Christopher Ochsenreither on 3 Feb 2013 09:27:07 -0800

[PLUG] Philly *nix rwe Club

Hi all,

I'm starting a meetup for people who are interested in learning fundamental use of Unix-like OS's from the command line. This meetup is geared towards beginners who may have had a superficial exposure to Linux, OSX or another Unix-like OS but never had the chance or self-determination to go into the details of the file system structure and how /bin commands work and work together. This is something I've wanted to get into for a while and I feel a lot of people could benefit from (especially developers who use LAMP but mostly focus on MP). For starters, I was thinking of going through a book like The Unix Programming Environment (which I'm sure of most you are familiar with) and discussing at the meetings the examples and exercises and how they work and then everyone writing some scripts between meetups using what we've covered to get some experience piping commands to each other, doing some administrative work, etc. This is probably too basic for a lot of PLUGers but I thought I'd throw it out there in case some people on the mailing list feel they could benefit.

http://www.meetup.com/Unix-Linux-Reading-Writing-Club/

Thanks,
Chris Ochsenreither