Rich Freeman on 1 Feb 2013 14:54:57 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Using resize2fs

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Sam Gleske <sam.mxracer@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 8:15 PM, Eric H. Johnson <ejohnson@camalytics.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> How do I expand the 3.9GB partition to use the remainder of the SD without
>> losing data?
>

> Reading the man page for resize2fs you just pass the device of the partition
> you want resized.
>
> e.g. resize2fs /dev/sda1 [size]

Yup, but the issue he was actually running into was likely with
resizing the partition itself, not the filesystem.  That requires a
partition editor - either fdisk or one of the more feature-filled
ones.  The latter (like gparted and such) will likely resize the
filesystem automatically for you and probably are easier to use with
less risk of data loss.

Oh, it never hurts to save a dump of your partition table (even in
text format), and the same goes for stuff like mdadm and lvm metadata.
 When things go wrong you can usually patch things up if you have a
good copy.

Rich