Douglas Muth on 12 Feb 2013 22:16:57 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Now: Live video stream of PLUG North meeting

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 1:10 AM,  <tomdf@verizon.net> wrote:

> His web hosting company then suspended his website/email account and said it
> would cost $500 to get the IP off the block lists so they could reactivate
> his account.

Are you sure they asked for money specifically to "get his IP
delisted"?  I've known of webhosts that charge money as "cleanup fees"
to customers who have security/spam incidents to cover the labor
involved.  The former is very scammy, the latter is not without
precedent, and may or may not be reasonable, depending on your point
of view.

Personally, I recommend Google Apps for email with 2-factor auth
enabled. That will drastically reduce the chances of getting one's
email broken into.

-- Doug