Eric at Lucii.org on 4 Mar 2013 17:55:44 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Survey: Linux RAID mirror sync time

Short answer:  I don't think so.

Longer answer:  You have to use fdisk to change the partition type to "Linux RAID Autodetect".
I believe that process will likely wreck the data already on the drive.

Caveat:  I have not tried this.

I will be trying something similar on Wednesday with a system that was supposed to be set
up with RAID mirroring but was not.

I'm planning on trying this:

  Make backups.
  Put a new blank drive in the machine and setting up a RAID mirror with only that drive.
  Copy the existing data from the old drive to the new (half) RAID array.
  Format the old drive to be exactly like the new drive.
  Add the old drive to the array as the second drive.
  Sync.
  Pray.

I think the hard part might be the boot process and I might end up having to do some Grub
editing.  I'll let you know how it works (or doesn't).

Eric